Cat D8T Undercarrriage Rebuild for Neville Earthworks
- Published on 05 February 2020
She’s Simply the Best! Well known Hawkes Bay contractor Barry Neville recently had completely new Cat undercarriage fitted to his D8T dozer by Terra Cat and the finished result has the machine impressing everyone.
Neville Earthworks long established Napier-based operation specialises in forestry roading, landings and skid sites as well as irrigation work. The company has a modern Cat fleet including recent Next Generation Cat 336 and 323 excavator acquisitions (the Next Gen 323 features full 3D package which is ideal for working on large irrigation dam projects). As well as the D8T dozer Neville Earthworks also runs Cat 320E, 326F and 330F excavators, and 815F, CP563E, 12H, 627G, D6R and D6T units amongst others of the iconic American brand. All are well maintained and presented in a fashion that the business can be very proud of.
For his D8T, owner Barry Neville chose genuine Cat undercarriage componentry because it’s a premium and reliable product at a great price.
Barry has always maintained proactive planning practices, so he took advantage of Terra Cat’s CPRO (Committed Planned Repair Order) promotion in conjunction with his local Parts and Service Sales Rep. The project scope and preparations for the D8T’s undercarriage replacement started about three weeks prior to the machine’s arrival to the workshop.
The undercarriage components were then delivered to the Terra Cat Napier branch to undertake the job. So what exactly did the scope of work on the D8T involve?
- Cleaning of machine before work started
- Safely jack-up and block machine
- Remove blade and both track frames
- Swap old track links with new track links (links are complete new with grouser shoes on)
- Replace 4 x idlers
- Remove and replace both track frame boogie cartridge pins and pads
- Replace both track frame bottom rollers and carrier idlers
- Replace sprocket segment both final drives
- Replace equalizer bar both ends bearings and seals
- Remove and fit tracks frames (both sides)
- Replace pivot shaft bushes and seals in undercarriage frames (both sides)
- Fit both track frames and blade
- Clean machine after work completed
The D8T achieved 4700 hours of life from the previous set of Cat general duty link assemblies and its rebuild actually follows a D6R full track rebuild that was completed earlier in 2019. The Terra Cat Napier branch assists Neville Earthworks with breakdowns, component overhauls, track gear replacements and specific servicing. Barry has his own mechanic that performs his machine fleet’s regular servicing.
Barry is very happy with the job done on the D8T and the dozer’s operator Matt Gordon is rapt with what he’s now working with. “Simply the Best” and just like a new machine! The dozer is currently busy along with the rest of the Neville Earthworks fleet on roading and skid development throughout the Hawkes Bay and Gisborne regions.
For more information about genuine Cat undercarriage products available from Terra Cat, contact 0800 93 39 39 or visit www.terracat.co.nz